Detailing cityscapes with bold black shapes will add depth to your urban sketches. Nurture your urban sketching skills with artist Amy Stewart (@amystewart) in this Live Demo. Amy will demonstrate her ink and watercolour techniques by painting a classic Amsterdam scene.
Check out the reference image here if you want to paint along!
- Sketching with pencil prior to ink is encouraged and shouldn’t be perceived otherwise;
- Layering ink and watercolour over the pencil marks as is;
- Using “wonkyness” in your drawing; the goal isn’t to be hyper realistic or symmetrical;
- Adding black ink in the initial step adds drama and contrast;
- Base layer can be grey, light purple, or colours that can be used as shadows.
Enrol in Amy's Mini Workshop (Enrol in our US$6.00 Mini Workshops)
Etchr Products mentioned:
Jackson's Art Products mentioned:
- Pigma Micron
- Copic pen in a 0.5
- Pentel Pocket Brush pen
- Faber-Castell Pitt
- Staedtler Permanent Lumocolor B
- Princeton Select synthetic brushes
- Pentel Aquash
- Sakura Koi Water Brush
- Daniel Smith Watercolour set
- Water and paper towels
- Pencil and eraser
Don't miss a thing!
Check out the Etchr YouTube channel: Subscribe and turn on notifications to stay in the loop!
- Etchr Studio Team