In this art class preview, learn to paint a scenic California coastline in gouache with professional artist Sergio Lopez (@sergiolopezlandscapes). He shares the unique and easy to follow method he’s developed throughout his decade-long career as an artist. Watch this simple yet fool-proof technique of starting with prominent shapes then refining more minor details.
- Using the reference photo to inform the colours used for the initial wash
- Laying thin washes of saturated colour as the underpainting
- Layering in opaque paint to carve out light and shadow
- Mixing purples for shadow areas
- Maintaining the focal point by keeping the light areas strong
Here is the reference image here if you want to paint along!
In the Mini Workshop art class, Sergio will teach:
- Starting with prominent shapes
- Refining smaller forms with subsequent layers
- Varying paint consistency for different purposes
- Using highlight and shadow to direct the viewer’s eye
Enrol in Sergio's Mini Workshop (Enrol in our US$6.00 Mini Workshops)
Etchr Products mentioned:
Gouache Brushes: Set of 8
The Perfect Sketchbook A4
Jackson's Art Products mentioned:
Holbein Gouache paints: Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Permanent Yellow Deep, Cadmium Orange, Cadmium Red, Alizarin Crimson, Ultramarine Blue, Sap Green, Viridian, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber
- Gouache paints in Spectrum Violet, Paynes Grey
- Airtight paint storage
- Ceramic mixing palette
- Small spray bottle
- Cotton rags for cleaning and wiping brushes
- Water container
- Outdoor easel with shelf or pochade box
Don't miss a thing!
Check out the Etchr YouTube channel: Subscribe and turn on notifications to stay in the loop!
- Etchr Studio Team