Learn to use light and shadow to your advantage when painting still life subjects in this workshop preview with Katharina Bergander (@aquarell.pleinair). She’ll elevate a humble onion by adding 3-dimensional effects using light and shadows. You’ll see her use unusual techniques including a craft knife!
- Using wet on wet technique for initial washes
- Dropping in deeper colours into the wet paint
- Dry brushing for texture
- Using a craft knife for texture
- Painting in darker values to create depth
- Blending the edges to create softness
Here is the reference image if you want to paint along.
In the Mini Workshop art class, Katharina will teach:
- Adding realistic qualities to still life subjects
- Creating a 3D look with shadows
- Painting with wet-on-dry for texture
Enrol in Katharina's Mini Workshop (Enrol in our US$6.00 Mini Workshops)
Chartpak products mentioned:
- 24 Grumbacher Watercolor Pans
- 9x12 Watercolor Pad
- 1 set of 3 Grumbacher Goldenedge Watercolor Brushes
Etchr products mentioned:
Don't miss a thing!
Check out the Etchr YouTube channel: Subscribe and turn on notifications to stay in the loop!
- Etchr Studio Team