Learn to make your urban sketches more natural and effortless in this workshop preview with urban sketcher Leslie Parsons (@montrealsketcher). He’ll show you how to break down an old Tokyo barbershop into simple shapes and loose lines. You’ll see how gradually adding depth and contrast can perfectly capture the organic and raw vibe in an urban scene.
Use the hashtag #etchr_barbershop to share your watercolour spin to Leslie’s line art!
- Breaking the storefront down into chunks to see where you want everything to be
- Starting with bigger shapes and then add smaller details
- Finding an anchor point in your more detailed work
- Letting loose with inking and don’t worry about creating perfect lines
- Using texture techniques like crosshatching, broken lines and dotted lines
Live Demo Reference: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mri391q0wc6uss4/LD%20reference.jpg?dl=0
In the Mini Workshop art class, Les will teach:
- Breaking down shapes and lines
- Shading techniques
- Using a limited watercolour palette
Chartpak products mentioned:
- 24 Grumbacher Watercolor Pans
- 9x12 Watercolor Pad
- 1 set of 3 Grumbacher Goldenedge Watercolor Brushes
Etchr products mentioned:
Don't miss a thing!
Check out the Etchr YouTube channel: Subscribe and turn on notifications to stay in the loop!
- Etchr Studio Team