Trees can be represented in all kinds of ways but are often dismissed as a mere background element. In this Live Demo, join returning artist David Morales (@dava22) as he sketches a scene with a backdrop full of lush trees, paying special attention to its volume and values to explain depth and perception. Apply cross-hatching sketch techniques to bring not only the subject but also its background to life.
Check out the reference image here if you want to paint along!
- Simplifying trees in the distance into shapes, and unifying those shapes with the same vertical strokes;
- Building layers of crosshatching using a small nib (005 Etchr Fineliner) to create darker values;
- Subsequent layers of crosshatching going in different directions, but remembering to stay consistent with the direction;
- Making sure to "respect the light," which is to preserve the lighter values and keep contrast high in important focal areas.
- Enrol in David's Mini Workshop (Enrol in our US$6.00 Mini Workshops)
- Etchr Sketchbook (Landscape): A6 Hot Press
- Etchr Sketchbook (Landscape): A5 Cold Press
- Black Graphic Pen Collection: Set of 16
Don't miss a thing!
Check out the Etchr YouTube channel: Subscribe and turn on notifications to stay in the loop!
- Etchr Studio Team