Catch a troll by his nose in this art class preview with artist Francesco Simone Savi (@francesco_simone_savi). You’ll learn a wet-on-wet gouache technique to paint the nose and an eye in a mythological creature portrait. He will also discuss the importance of preparing a tonal value drawing before starting any painting.
Check out the line art and tonal value reference here if you want to paint along!
- Painting with gouache as though it is watercolour
- Preparing a tonal value sketch
- Using wet-on-wet techniques for facial features
- Painting with muted, earthy colours for a matte finish
Enrol in Francesco's Mini Workshop (Enrol in our US$6.00 Mini Workshops)
In the Mini Workshop art class, Francesco will teach:
- Painting with of wet-on-wet and wet-on-day with gouache
- Framing a mythological character portrait
- Using gouache in thin layers
Etchr Products Mentioned:
Jackson's Art products mentioned:
- Winsor & Newton Designer Gouache Paints (Suggested colours: Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Prussian Blue, Raw Sienna, Olive Green, Van Dyke Brown, Burnt Umber, Cadmium-Free Red, Alizarin Crimson)
- Winsor & Newton Artist Sable Brushes (Suggested sizes: #2, #4, #6)
- Flat Brush
- Cold Press Paper (Suggested: Arches or Fabriano or Strathmore)
- Artist's tape to anchor down a loose sheet of paper
- Watecolour board or any wood panel to be used to anchor the paper
- Paper towels to wipe and clean brushes
- Jar of clean water
- Ceramic palette to mix colors
- Hairdryer to fasten the process of drying the paint
Don't miss a thing!
Check out the Etchr YouTube channel: Subscribe and turn on notifications to stay in the loop!
- Etchr Studio Team