Introduction to Watercolour for Animals is a 5-part beginner series for painting animals. Designed and taught by artist and instructor Ian de Hoog (@iandehoogart), this course will give you drawing and watercolour painting fundamentals. He will teach you to draw confidently, understand value and tone, develop a consistent workflow, recognize cool and warm colours, mix colours, create texture, and understand and compose focal points. You’ll go from being a total beginner to feeling confident enough in your skills to paint any animal you choose.
Preview the series with this Live Demo, where Ian will do two studies of a simple animal form. The first will be a monochromatic value study, and the second will be in colour following the first’s values.
At the end of the series, a 3-hour Master Class is available where Ian will guide you through completing a full animal painting, reinforcing everything you learned in the series.
Check out this reference photo if you want to sketch along!
- COMING SOON
Enrol in Ian's Course (Buy now for an affordable price)
Etchr Products mentioned:
Other materials mentioned:
- A4 Cold Press Watercolour block paper, 140lbs/300gsm (Suggested brands: Arches, Fabriano Artistico and Saunders Waterford)
- Watercolour paints (Suggested brands: Van Gogh, Winsor and Newton Cotman or Professional, Daniel Smith, Holbein, Sennelier and Schmincke): Hansa Yellow Medium, Permanent Orange, Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Ultramarine Blue, Viridian, Yellow Ochre, Quinacridone Burnt Orange, Burnt Umber and Neutral Tint; Additional colours (not required): New Gamboge, Pyrrol Scarlet, Cobalt Blue Violet, Prussian Blue, Sepia
- M. Graham Titanium White gouache (Tube)
- Brushes (Suggested brands: Escoda Prado and Princeton 4050 Series): Round brushes size 12, 8 and 2; 1" hog hair fan brush
- Flat plastic or white ceramic mixing palette
- 2 Containers of water
- An old rag or kitchen sponge
- Hairdryer (Optional)
- Traditional or mechanical pencil (2B)
- Kneadable eraser
- Masking or artist tape
Join our Facebook Group!
Looking to meet like-minded artists and get feedback from some of our teachers? Join our Facebook Group!
Our online community is a safe and interactive environment for artists of all levels. Let’s learn together!
Don't miss a thing!
Stay up to date on our upcoming live classes, special offers & news by signing up for our Etchr Studio Newsletter.
Check out the Etchr YouTube channel: Subscribe and turn on notifications to stay in the loop!
- Etchr Studio Team