Learn to paint brick and stone with texture as preparation for a complete house painting. Join us for an art class preview with artist and illustrator Jen Russell-Smith (@jenrussellsmithillustration). She will show us how to use wet-on-dry layering and colour contrast to create texture in watercolour.
Check out the reference photo if you want to paint along!
- Watercolour paint to water ratios
- Creating texture for various architectural elements
- Capturing the spirit of a building without needing every detail
- Adding shadow and shade to make a building seem solid
- Breaking down big subjects into manageable parts
Enrol in Jen's Mini Workshop (Enrol in our US$6.00 Mini Workshops)
In the Mini Workshop, Jen will teach:
- Giving personality to inanimate structures
- Creating texture with wet-on-wet and wet-on-dry techniques
- Mixing colours for contrast
- Creating an interesting subject by adding and removing details
Etchr Products mentioned:
Other materials mentioned:
- Winsor & Newton Watercolours (Colours: Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Indian Red, Burnt Umber, Payne's Gray, Ivory Black, Permanent Sap Green)
- Cass Art Cold press/Not 300gsm watercolour paper (Similar: Arches Aquarelle Watercolor Paper Blocks 300gsm)
- Watercolour brushes in medium round and small round, small one stroke
- Pro Arte Prolene 1/8”
- Black waterproof ink and pen (Suggested: Platinum Carbon ink and pen with extra fine nib)
- Water in containers
- Paper towels
Don't miss a thing!
Check out the Etchr YouTube channel: Subscribe and turn on notifications to stay in the loop!
- Etchr Studio Team