Learn to paint a magical glow with watercolours in this art class preview with professional artist and illustrator Mirka Hokkanen (@mirkahokkanen). She’ll show you her technique for creating a glowing effect that involves an outline sketch, mixing colours, and negative painting. You’ll learn to use wet-on-wet washes and colour layering to make magic happen.
- Using a red pencil to outline sketch to add to the glow effect
- Intuitively mixing colours and adding in a colourful wet-on-wet wash all over the drawing
- Using negative painting techniques to paint around the subject shapes
- Layering in light tones of local colour multiple times to build value and depth
- Finishing with coloured pencils to clean edges and for final details
In the 90-minute art class, Mirka will teach:
- Negative painting techniques
- Making the best of happy accidents
- Enroll in Mirka's Mini Workshop (Enroll in our $5 Mini Workshops and get $10 back to spend on our Art Supply store!)
- Listen to Mirka's interview
- Outline to print and paint
Don't miss a thing!
Check our Youtube Channel: Subscribe and turn on notifications to stay in the loop!
- the team at Etchr Studio