Introduction to Illustration: Drawing and Painting is a 5-part beginner series introducing you to the combined worlds of drawing and painting. Designed and taught by professional illustrator Sarah van Dongen (@sarahvandongenillustrations), this course will give you the essential skills to draw people, faces, and places, all with the correct perspective. She’ll show you how to draw from observation, simplify shapes, choose colours, understand colour theory, create patterns, combine common mediums. You likely have most of the supplies already in your house – markers, crayons, coloured pencils. You’ll go from being a total beginner to feeling confident enough in your skills to create original illustrations in your unique style.
Preview the series with this Live Demo, where Sarah will illustrate a simple figure in a sketchbook to demonstrate mixed media techniques.
At the end of the series, a 3-hour Master Class is available where Sarah guides you through completing a full illustration, reinforcing everything you learned in the series.
Check out this reference photo if you want to sketch along!
- COMING SOON
Enrol in Sarah's Course (Buy now for an affordable price)
Etchr Products mentioned:
Jackson's Art products mentioned:
- Faber-Castell Albrecht Durer watercolour marker beige red
- Holbein Acrylic gouache (Coral red, Smalt blue, Ice green, Pale lavender, Ash blue, Titanium white, Light apricot, Ash green, Pale mint)
- Caran d’Ache neocolor II crayons (Sky blue, Turquoise green, Salmon, Light cobalt blue, Payne’s grey, Chromium oxide green)
- Caran d’Ache Luminance coloured pencils (Sepia, Payne’s grey)
Other materials mentioned:
- Holbein Acrylic Gouache
- Light Apricot Small round tipped brushes
Don't miss a thing!
Stay up to date on our upcoming live classes, special offers & news by signing up for our Etchr Studio Newsletter.
Check out the Etchr YouTube channel: Subscribe and turn on notifications to stay in the loop!
- Etchr Studio Team