In this art class preview, learn to paint gouache foliage using a wet-on-dry technique. Join us with artist An Ho (@ogygia_art) as she teaches how to work with gouache in layers to create depth. Her method for simplifying foliage will help you paint a believable landscape.
Check out this reference photo if you want to paint along!
- Simplifying the details of foliage
- Using gouache in layers
- Painting with wet-on-dry
- Painting with transparent or opaque gouache
- Altering tone and colour from reference photos
Enrol in An's Mini Workshop (Enrol in our US$6.00 Mini Workshops)
In the Mini Workshop, An will teach:
- Blocking large shapes with thin layers of gouache
- Painting trees as shapes of light and dark
- Creating a focal point with highlights
- Designing an interesting composition based on a reference photo
Etchr Products mentioned:
Other materials mentioned:
- Watercolour Paper (220g)
- Gouache Paints (Suggested brands: Winsor & Newton, Holbein and M. Graham): Black, White, Primary Blue, Burnt Sienna, Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Red and Opera
- Brushes: Flat brush size 12, 4, round brush size 4
- Masking tape
Don't miss a thing!
Check out the Etchr YouTube channel: Subscribe and turn on notifications to stay in the loop!
- Etchr Studio Team