In this art class preview, learn to paint a moody atmosphere in watercolour urban scenes. Join us with Zheng Lu (@luwatercolor_sketch) as he teaches simplifying a busy reference photo by focusing on prominent shapes. Then he will show us a wet-on-wet watercolour technique to create soft edges.
Check out the reference photos and contour drawing here.
- Creating mood with warm and cool colours
- Letting gravity work the colours
- Leaving highlights for reflections
- Using simple shapes for complex images
- Making reflections with a lifting technique
In the Mini Workshop, Zheng will teach:
- Painting a variety of edge styles
- Achieving luminosity in watercolour
- Using tone and value to create mood
- Letting the watercolour be in control
Enrol in Zheng's Mini Workshop (Enrol in our US$6.00 Mini Workshops)
Etchr Products mentioned:
Jackson's Art products mentioned:
- Winsor & Newton Watercolour Tubes (Suggested colours: Cadmium Yellow, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Orange, Cerulean Blue, Cobalt Blue, French Ultramarine, Cobalt, Turquoise Light)
- Daniel Smith Watercolour Tubes (Suggested colours: Yellow Ochre, Chinese White, Neutral Tint)
- Holbein Watercolour Tubes (Suggested colours: Quinacridone Gold, Vermilion Hue, Alizarin Crimson, Mineral Violet, Lavender)
- Escoda Ultimo Mop Brush in #14 and #18
- Escoda Perla in #12 and #10
- Arches Watercolour Paper 140lb (300gsm) Rough
Other materials mentioned:
- Water cup
- Watercolour palette
- Mechanical pencil
- Paper towel
Don't miss a thing!
Check out the Etchr YouTube channel: Subscribe and turn on notifications to stay in the loop!
- Etchr Studio Team