Introduction to Negative Painting (Recording)
For approximately 3 hours, watch and paint along with illustrator Jill Gustavis as she teaches the basics of negative painting. Learn all the fundamentals and come out with new techniques that will enhance the space and dimensions of your paintings!
This class will cover: creating more realistic lighting within your paintings, giving shapes dimension without underdrawings, identifying appropriate subjects and materials for negative painting and using brushes for specific mark making.
Purchase this video now and a downloadable PDF containing the video link will be sent to you via email.
Disclaimer: Please note that this is NOT a live 3-hour Class and is merely a recording.
- Two+ colors of paint (artist grade recommended)
- A selection of brushes if you’d like to experiment with mark-making, but at least one brush that is capable of strokes ranging from mid-size (equivalent of a round 8-10) to fine detail. (Suggested: Winsor & Newton watercolour brush sizes #8 and #10)
- Paper for exercises: Sketchbook or loose paper of your favorite variety. 100% cotton is recommended and HP/CP is up to you. 140lb recommended, but 90lb paper taped down may suffice. (Suggested: Milford Sketchbook 100% cotton 140lb)
- Paper for painting project. 100% cotton is highly recommended since there will be extra layers. 140lb min is recommended to prevent warping with washes. HP/CP is your choice. (Suggested: Milford 100% cotton 140lb)
- 2 Rinse cups (one for washing, one for clean water)
- Paper towel (optional for lifting/blotting)
- Masking Fluid (optional one exercise) (Suggested: Winsor & Newton Masking Fluid 75ML)
- Masking Tape (optional for one exercise/creating clean borders) (Suggested: Handover Masking Tape)
- Pencil (Suggested: Faber Castel Pencil)
- Download/print this reference photo
If you don’t love it, it’s free.
If you’re not happy, we’re not happy. That’s why if you don’t love this Mini Workshop or Class as much as we know you will, we will give you your money back.