Introduction to Negative Painting
In this 3-hour online class, join watercolour artist, Jill Gustavis, as she teaches the basics of negative painting. Learn all the fundamentals and come out with new techniques that will enhance the space and dimensions of your paintings!
This Live Class is limited to 8 people for a more hands-on experience.
Secure your spot today by purchasing on this page. A downloadable PDF containing the Zoom link and other workshop details will be sent via email after checkout.
*A recording of this Class will be sent out to the participants 3-5 days after the live session. By purchasing this 3-hour Class, you agree that your voices will be heard in the recording.
- 11am LA Time Saturday (October 24th)
- 2pm NY Time Saturday (October 24th)
- 7pm London Time Saturday (October 24th)
- 2am Singapore Time Sunday (October 25th)
- 5am Sydney Time Sunday (October 25th)
- Two or more colours of paint (artist grade recommended)
- Palette or dish to mix washes in
- A selection of brushes if you’d like to experiment with mark-making
- Have at least one brush capable of strokes ranging from mid-size (equivalent of a round 8-10) to fine detail
- Paper for exercises: Sketchbook or loose paper of your favourite variety, 100% cotton, 140lb recommended (90lb paper taped down may suffice), either hot or cold press
- Paper for painting project: 100% cotton, 140lb min is recommended to prevent warping with washes, either hot or cold press
- Two rinse cups (one for washing, one for clean water)
- Paper towel (optional for lifting/blotting)
- Masking fluid (optional one exercise)
- Masking tape (optional one exercise, for convenience only)
Supplies listed are watercolour based, but feel free to swap in equal versions of your media of choice.